Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Corn


Ok, so my grandparents have a garden every year and I'm always wanting some vegetables in the summer. I especially love the "Silver Queen" corn my grandfather grows each year. However, they are in Knoxville and it's sometimes hard for me to get up there when certain vegetables are ready for picking. So I don't get veggies every year because I just can't stop everything to go up there on a moments notice.

Well, yesterday morning Grangraw calls to tell me her and Pepaw are on their way from Knoxville with about 125 ears of corn that they are going to leave on my front porch. Wonderful news right? Except for the fact that now I have to figure out a way to get this all "put up" and there is only a few day window before it will start rotting. Plus, I don't do so well with "surprises" and I didn't even get to see them. They drove down here (at a max of 55 mph I'm sure), dropped off the corn, turned around and went home. Crazy huh?

So, I rush home to make sure the vegetables actually made it to my front porch and not an unsuspecting neighbors and then I start the process. For 5.5 hours last night, I shucked and cleaned corn. :) Now I'm left with the task of cutting it, creaming it, blanching it, and freezing it. I may be done by the fourth if I'm lucky. Of course I will have very yummy corn for the next year, but I'm already exhausted from the first leg of this journey and I'm not even half way there.

0 comments: