Thursday, January 15, 2009

Part-time Job

As most of you know, I got a part time job back in October. I was looking to pay off some bills and then use a discount to do some redecorating at some point. Well, the job didn't turn out to be quite what I had hoped for.

During a typical week I am usually "On Call" about 3 or 4 days. This means that if I am on call from 5-10pm, I can call in at 4pm to see if I am needed. Now, don't get me wrong. I understand that this is great for the business, but it just sucks for me. First off, I'm only working about 5 hours every two weeks. Then you tack on that I'm on call another 6-8 days and I can't plan to do anything with my friends or family because I might have to go in. Then factor in that I feel like an idiot the whole time I'm there, because I've only worked maybe 8 times and I still don't know what or where anything is.

So anyways, I call in today to find out my schedule for next week and to talk to the manager. I explained that I really liked them all and enjoyed working there, but it just wasn't really working out for me. I told her that it just wasn't worth it to me to be on call all the time and only be making about $35 dollars every two weeks. Plus, its an 30 minute drive to and from work and I would like to be phased out of the schedule and just quit.

Most of you probably think that this is the end of the story, but no. The manager explained that she had been wanting to talk to me. She says that some big things are about to happen that she can't talk about yet, but she really wants me to stay on. She then assured me that with these changes I would be on the schedule a lot more and my issues should be solved. So, here I am in the waiting game once again to see what will happen. I guess I should just go ahead and put in for all my time off and see what happens. So for now, I'm still a Pottery Barn employee. Go me!

1 comments:

Pierce Family Happenings said...

Cheryl,
Love your blog! I need to add it to my daily list- I usually procrastinate about doing that. ;) You totally kept us hanging until the end of the post that you are working at PB! How fun! Stick around and let us know what BIG things are happening soon! Inquiring minds want to know! heehee! Do you ever sleep? You are always on the go!
love,
Anne