Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm Back

Hey there! Did you miss me? I can’t believe it’s been over a year since I updated this. I owe anyone that actually reads this a major apology for my slacking. I’ve had MANY blog worthy stories to share this year. I just never could find the time to write them down. Actually, I think the correct statement is, I just never took the time to write these stories down. So, I’m back on track. I plan to be much better about updating my blog and I also plan to try and retell some of the more unbelievable stories I missed this past year.

I’ve made some big changes in my life recently. First and foremost, for those of you who didn’t know I QUIT SMOKING!!! For real this time too people!!! I know I’ve said that before but this is really it. Now, don’t get me wrong, I still really want a cigarette, but I am done. I’ve made it past my milestone and won’t smoke again at least until I’m in my 80s and it doesn’t matter anymore.

The second big change in my life is I joined a GYM. No, this isn’t a joke, there is no hidden camera. I really did this.

For those of you who know me, you know I HATE to exercise. I think most of that is from when I was on the swim team in High School and the coach there scarred mea for life. We worked out 3-5 hours a day, 5 days a week, and probably 50 weeks a year. I did this for 3 full years and then quit the team due to events for another story. Nevertheless, I haven’t really worked out or been to a gym, more than 10 times since 1993.

To make matters even more exciting and strange, I hired a personal trainer. Knowing myself as well as I do, I knew I wouldn’t work out or push myself without someone making me do it Jillian Michaels or HS swim coach style. I’m lazy. I know this, you know this, and now the world knows this.

I do want to change though. I want a smoking hot body and to not get winded sightseeing on vacation.

So, how did all this come to pass? Well, to start with, most of the people I spent all my time with had babies this past year and therefore I never see them anymore. Then, I quit smoking and suddenly I had nothing but free time on my hands. When I first quit smoking (October 3rd) I had to stay busy to keep from smoking and so I finished almost all of my outstanding projects. Once they were all done, I realized I wasn’t doing anything except watching TV and knitting. So, I decided since I was gaining all this weight, was out of shape and had the time, that I should go sign up for a gym. The theory was that if I paid even just a little for a membership I would feel obligated to go and not waste my money. So, I signed up for a membership and it came with a free session with a personal trainer. What I now know is that these “free” sessions are well designed sales pitches. Now, don’t get me wrong. I am super glad I am doing this. However, after being weighed (no, I’m not sharing that awful number) and having my bmi (yes, he told me I was obese) taken by some hot young trainer and then doing what he called a 10 minute easy workout (totally lies). I was so worn out that my legs gave from under me and I wiped out on the stairs in front of the entire gym. I knew right then, I really needed help and so I signed the contract for 1 full year with a trainer.

0 comments: