Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Smoke Alarm Update

After doing some research on the Internet I discovered several interesting facts.

1. Smoke alarms can malfunction in the presence of a bug infestation and where there are high levels of dust.

2. Smoke alarms that are wired into your home are linked together. This is a safety feature that causes your other smoke alarms to go off if one is triggered. Hence, my deafening noise. I will say however, that I know I won't sleep through a real fire. There is no way to sleep through that noise.

After examining my detectors for signs of problems, I noticed that the 2nd floor alarms was full of dust. So, I ran over to the trusty Home Depot and bought a two pack ($25) of smoke detectors and went home to install them. Installation went by without a hitch and now I am scheduling a vacuum of my detectors once a year. I sure don't want to go through this again. :)

0 comments: