Friday, October 3, 2008

The Library

Do you live in Davidson County? If so, and you aren’t using the public library, you are really missing out! Davidson County has one of the best libraries around. Most of you are like myself and probably grew up with just an average library. Let me tell you what you are missing.

Our library has one of the most extensive collections of everything! You can check out books, CD’s, videos, and DVD’s. Our library has all the new releases and it’s all free! Now don’t get me wrong, you do have to wait a while for most of the new DVD releases. However, the cost makes it worth the wait to me. Our library usually has a minimum of 3 copies of all movies and all it takes is a few minutes to get on the waiting list. Then, you get to keep the movie for 7 days before the late fees start accruing.

The best part is the online reservation system. You can go to the public library’s website http://www.library.nashville.org/index.asp and do everything from there. Once you register your library card number online you can search the catalog and then request the item(s) you would like and have them sent to the library closest to you. When it is your turn, the library marks the book with your name and puts it on a hold shelf. Then you have about a week to go pick up the item and you can even self checkout. It is sooo nice!

Since I made this discovery I haven’t rented a single movie. Also, keep in mind the library is great for hobby books. In the past few years I have taken up cake decorating and knitting. The library has extensive collections on both of these topics. So, I check out 5 or 6 books at a time on either topic, and look through them for ideas. If I come across a book with lots of projects I would like to try. I just make a note to actually buy that book later. It’s a wonderful way to try before you buy. Happy Reading!!!!

0 comments: